Landscaping, sustainability and biodiversity
Sustainability and landscaping are key to delivering successful new residential and mixed-use developments that are attractive and environmentally friendly.
Homes will be built to the highest building performance standards to ensure that they are energy-efficient and minimise heat loss. The buildings will also have solar panels on the roof and we will use air source heat pumps to contribute to carbon reduction and maximise renewable energy use.
We are encouraging sustainable forms of transport, prioritising pedestrian and cycle routes and low car usage.
We are proposing a comprehensive landscape treatment for the site including everything from planting new greenery and trees to creating specific new spaces for people to relax in.
Our proposals include:
- A series of connected spaces which link well into the site context.
- Varying character and use of the amenity spaces to activate the public realm.
- A linear central open space providing opportunities for rest and play.
- A clear and legible pedestrian and cycle route through the site.
- Embedding the industrial and riverside heritage of the site within the proposals, including carefully selected materiality and public art.
- Incorporate new tree planting within the scheme that will mitigate the removal of the existing trees on site.
- Enhance biodiversity with specific measures including planting to value wildlife and pollinators, green/brown roofs and planting wildflowers.
- Create attractive, enclosed communal spaces for residents with opportunities for rest, relaxation and growing food.
- Create opportunities for landscaping at the site boundaries to address the visual amenity of the adjacent residential dwellings.
- Embrace opportunities for Sustainable drainage systems (SuDS), such as rain gardens, biodiverse roofs and permeable paving.
- Solar panels on the roofs buildings and use of air source heat pumps to maximise renewable energy use.
- Electrical Vehicle charging points.
Public drop-in events
We’re holding two events for the local community to find out more about the proposals and ask any questions to the team.
Where: Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre, Haven Road, EX2 8DP
- Friday 13 May; 12pm-5pm
- Saturday 14 May; 10am-3pm
You can drop-in at any point during the events.